Monday, September 4, 2017

A Page from my Diary in Saudi Arabia





This is a page from my diary about life and upbringing in Saudi Arabia. 



I was 15-year-old. I love drawing and painting. The teacher of Monotheism (a religious subject) in my high-school foist her narrow interpretations of Sunni Wahhabi orthodox, - saying that it is a form of idolatry to draw/depict images of human beings. "Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah (God)". She declares and emphasises that I would be severely punished and burn in hell. My brown eyes brooding out of fears. I go home and write the following in my diary " There is a question: why would God bestow the talent of drawing on me if it is Haram (forbidden)?! ... I will listen to the voice of reason not the voice of others" 

Hana, Jeddah-Saudi Arabia (2002)


This is a page from my diary about life and upbringing in Saudi Arabia (In Arabic)


No comments:

Post a Comment